Don't lose out on an amazing job opportunity just because you haven't prepared properly for the interview. If you don't have much experience, you will need to show how motivated you are by knowing how to answer the question: "Why do you want to work here?", "Why do you want this position?". This is a crucial question that will determine whether or not you are chosen for the next step of the recruitment process. For this reason, we decided to talk to Ángeles García Lahiguera, from trabajando.es, to discuss interview techniques and find out how to answer this tricky interview question.
1) We know that we should avoid mentioning salary, but what other advice can you give for answering this question?
Interviewers ask difficult questions like this to try and catch you out by making you contradict yourself. There are a few different approaches you can use when it comes to answering this question:
a) Professional approach:
You need to prove that you are capable of the job in terms of skills. “I am interested in this position as my skills would be very useful. It would also be beneficial for me to work here as it would help me personally, professionally and economically. This is a large company where I would be able to learn and develop my career."
b) Company culture approach:
Show that you are interested in the company and in what you would be doing. “I really like the company culture. I like what I've heard and read about the company and I feel as though it fits perfectly with my personality and values". If you can back this up with real company facts/dates, even better.
c) Personal approach:Showing your enthusiasm for the position is another reason to make the interviewer want to employ you.
- “I've always wanted to work for this company”
- “I would feel very comfortable carrying out the duties as I already have experience with similar tasks."
- “I know your products/services very well and think they are great."
2) What are the best kinds of answers?Answers that are sincere, that show your interest and dedication to the position and company.
3) What are the worst kinds of answers?
Salary and vacation time shouldn't be amongst your priorities. Therefore, never say that you're interested in the position because you know that the company has a good market position and offers high salaries, or that there's a lot of vacation time with the job. In other words, don't make it seem as though the only things that interest you are money and holidays.
4) How can we prepare for answering this question at home?
By researching the company before the interview, finding out what they do, what their company values are, their philosophy, if it's a good company to work for, etc. Anything that will give you arguments for wanting to work there.
5) What information could be useful for answering this question?
- Find out the dates of important activity within the company and its history.
- Find out the market position for the sector of development/activity of the company.
- Business activity. Get to know the products or services.
- Expansion policy, employment policy etc.
6) If, for example, a candidate is interested in the company, but not in the position, how can they reply to this question?
If you want to work for a company but in a different department, it will be easier once you have your foot in the door; show your interest for the position using the different approaches covered earlier. Transferring to a different department later will be much easier.
7) If the candidate isn't particularly interested in the company or position, only in the salary, how can they answer this question?
If the only thing that interests you is the salary, don't waste your time. You will only end up working in a company and department where you don't feel comfortable. You should continue with your job search, trying to find a job and company where you would feel confortable and satisfied.
If you want the position, you will have to convince the interviewer of your motivation. Make sure you show your enthusiasm for the company and its values. Focus on your skills and abilities, without mentioning salary or vacation time!
Now that you have the best tips for answering this question successfully, all you need now is a job, which you can find on Wizbii!